Most of our economy has been given the green light to open under level 3 lockdown. At level 4, we prepared and complied with the regulations for employers to ensure the workplace is safe for returning employees.
Regulations require that a plan be available on inspection, visible to employees and visitors and communicated to employees.
This should continue being a top priority for employers in keeping the health and safety of their employees and communities at the fore and minimising the risk of spreading the virus.
What else can employers do to ensure the back to work process is a smooth one for their employees?
- Take pictures of the work environment starting with what the employees can expect to encounter.
- Elect an ambassador who is comfortable with the safety standards in place to and can share with their colleagues how they benefitted from returning to the office. This will help those who are unsettled and unsure about what to expect when they return to the physical office environment.
- Provide visual posts at strategic points in the office, reminding employees of responsible behaviours like hand washing, sanitising and wearing of masks.
- Minimise the number of employees in the office by implementing rotation rosters, staggered working hours, shift work and continuing with remote working were possible.
- Give staff the option of continuing to work from home. This will also indicate that you care and are putting their wellbeing first.
- Ensure there are special measures in place for the most vulnerable i.e. those over 60 and employees with underlying conditions as stipulated by the Department of Health.
- Continue setting targets but ensuring that the employee can achieve a work/life balance. These are stressful times and we need to display a caring culture.
- Regular engagement with your employees must continue using any of the virtual platforms available e.g. MS Teams, Zoom, Jitsi, Meet, etc
Employees are valuable assets and we need to nurture them in these challenging times! As employees, please continue displaying responsible behaviour by adhering to the health protocols and regulatory disciplines as we all work together in minimising the spread of COVID-19.
Many of us are looking forward to Level 3 and that much anticipated wine delivery. Enjoy!
Other related articles that might interest you: